Almost all over the world, microwave ovens are used as a convenient way to cook, thaw or reheat the food. However, there are many people who are really concerned about the effect of the microwaves on their health and safety of their foods.
How do microwave oven cooks our food?
Technically speaking, the magnetron inside the oven converts ordinary electric power from a wall socket into very short radio waves .They are transmitted by the oven’s magnetron at a frequency of about 2450 Megahertz. At that frequency, power is readily absorbed by water, fats and sugars, resulting in very fast vibration and high temperatures that cook the food.
David E. Hintenlang, associate professor of nuclear and radiological engineering at the University of Florida explains that “Microwave ovens cook food by generating intermolecular friction between the molecules of the food. The microwaves cause water molecules to vibrate; the increased friction between the molecules results in heat.”
Here are some facts worth noting:
Food is cooked unevenly
Food Safety and Inspection Service of United States Department of Agriculture explains in detail how microwaved food can be unsafe if not cooked properly. “Bacteria will be destroyed during microwave cooking, however there are chances that the food is cooked unevenly just as in frying or grilling, thereby allowing the bacteria and other micro-organisms to thrive in those cold spots.
Protein molecule may turn harmful
Protein foods seem particularly susceptible to damage (denaturation) by microwave heating, because of their complex molecular structure. This structure can be changed under the influence of microwave energy, so that a beneficial protein molecule in the food becomes a harmful one.
Food becomes less nutritious than what it is actually
The most surprising fact while using microwave oven is the food looses its actual nutritious content while its been cooked. As the water molecules are lost while the food is cooking, along with water , most of the vital nutrients also tend to dissolve. This can create nutritional deficiencies that may become severe over time.
Toxic plastic molecules when cooked
Cooking food in plastic containers in the microwave oven is not recommended because toxic plastic molecules such as caracinogenic toxins from the containers can leach into the food which may affect the chemical composition of the cooked food. Further studies are underway to determine the full extent of these toxic dangers and they have not yet been proven to be statistically significant.
Chemicals may turn dangerous in due course of time
As microwaving changes the molecular structure of food, those chemical changes are passed along to our body when we eat the microwaved food. Results show that excess consumption of microwaved food causes
Because food is heated so quickly in a microwave, overheating can result in tongue and mouth burns.
For those of us who are health conscious, it may be advisable to avoid using microwave ovens as much as possible, and heat our food in some other way!